Re: Use of non-restart-safe storage by temp_tablespaces

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Use of non-restart-safe storage by temp_tablespaces
Date: 2017-05-30 14:41:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 03:55:08PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm too lazy to search the archives right now, but there was some case
> years ago where somebody destroyed their database via an ill-thought-out
> combination of automatic-initdb-if-$PGDATA-isn't-there and slow mounting.
> We'd have to be very sure that any auto-directory-creation behavior didn't
> have a potential for that. Perhaps doing it only for temp tablespaces
> alleviates some of the risk, but it still seems pretty scary.

Here is the Joe Conway report from 2004:

https://postgr.es/m/41BFAB7C.5040108@joeconway.com

and later references to the report from Joe Conway (2005):

https://postgr.es/m/425ABB17.305%40joeconway.com

and you (2007):

https://postgr.es/m/18897.1197775682%40sss.pgh.pa.us

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com