Re: Unable to start postgresql

From: John Iliffe <john(dot)iliffe(at)iliffe(dot)ca>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to start postgresql
Date: 2017-03-10 03:01:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 09 March 2017 16:37:28 you wrote:
> On 03/08/2017 10:12 AM, John Iliffe wrote:
> > I think you may have hit it but I'm even more confused now.
> >
> > I looked at the running Postgesql on the current server and there is a
> > 5th sub-directory called /data. That is on the same level as the
> > /bin, /share, etc. In this new installation it is not present and
> > neither is the postgresql.conf file, nor are the hba files that
> > restrict logins.
> >
> > So, my question: is this a change between version 9.2.1 and 9.6.2 and
> > if so where is the postgresql.conf file (I can't find it on a scan
> > but it could be renamed I suppose)?
> >
> > Or, is there something wrong with the installation? I went by the
> > successful conclusion message from make install and assumed everything
> > would be as expected in the directories.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what may have happened?
>
> Just realized this was an old post that just came through. I also
> realized that my explanation of where the *.conf files are was specific
> to a source default install. Package installs may locate them elsewhere.
> In that case as a Postgres superuser(postgres for example) do:
>
> test=# select * from pg_settings where sourcefile is not null;
>
> name | DateStyle
> setting | ISO, MDY
> unit | NULL
> category | Client Connection Defaults / Locale and Formatting
> short_desc | Sets the display format for date and time values.
> extra_desc | Also controls interpretation of ambiguous date inputs.
> context | user
> vartype | string
> source | configuration file
> min_val | NULL
> max_val | NULL
> enumvals | NULL
> boot_val | ISO, MDY
> reset_val | ISO, MDY
> sourcefile | /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
> sourceline | 538
> pending_restart | f
>
> And look for the sourcefile location.
>
> > John

Thanks Adrian.

I had figured that out eventually, and found the missing files where you said
they were.

Appreciate the info on how to get the configuration values. A lot seems to
have changed since I started using Postgresql and I guess I should really
read up on how things work now and not in 2008!

Regards,

John