Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date: 2017-03-08 21:49:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-03-08 16:32:49 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 3/6/17 19:53, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I'm just not quite sure what the best way is to make it easier to run
> > tests in parallel within the tree.
>
> make check-world -j2 seems to run fine for me.

Hm, I at least used to get a lot of spurious failures with this. I
e.g. don't think the free port selection is race free. Also that
doesn't solve the issue of the time spent in repetitive initdbs - but
that's mainly in contrib, and we probably solve that there by having a
special target in contrib/ building a cluster once.

> You can also run prove with a -j option.

Ah, interesting.

> (The problem is that parallel make and parallel tests together might
> explode a bit, so we might want some way to control which aspect we
> parallelize.)

Yea, I indeed see that. Probably could do a top-level prerequisite for
check on a check-world subset that includes docs?

- Andres