BUG #14451: PostgreSQL server on iscsi disks

From: tim(dot)klicks(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14451: PostgreSQL server on iscsi disks
Date: 2016-12-06 15:07:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 14451
Logged by: Tim Klicks
Email address: tim(dot)klicks(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
Operating system: RHEL 7.x and its derivatives

Hej all,

I just installed a RHEL 7.3 server and installed the latest 9.6.1 rpms from
your download area.

After this, I have initialized the database, shut it down and moved the
/var/lib/pgsql/9.6 folder to an iscsi volume attached to the server.

After a reboot, the postgresql server is not coming up, although the
filesystem has been mounted.

I digged a bit into this issue and found a solution and maybe a possible
"bug".

Here is the normal postgresql-9.6.service file:
.
.
.
[Unit]
Description=PostgreSQL 9.6 database server
After=syslog.target
After=network.target
.
.
.

I have now changed it to include remote-fs.target, as follows:
.
.
.
[Unit]
Description=PostgreSQL 9.6 database server
After=syslog.target
After=network.target
After=remote-fs.target
.
.
.

Now, the database is coming up as systemd knows, that the postgresql service
has to wait for the remote-fs.target to finish.

As mentioned, I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but it would be great
if you could include the remote-fs.target dependency into the
postgresql-9.6.service file.

Best Regards,
Tim.