Re: Mail thread references in commits

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Mail thread references in commits
Date: 2016-11-18 22:08:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> AFAICS the proposal here is to go from, eg,
>
> Discussion: <CAF4Au4w6rrH_j1bvVhzpOsRiHCog7sGJ3LSX0tY8ZdwhHT88LQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>

> Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF4Au4w6rrH_j1bvVhzpOsRiHCog7sGJ3LSX0tY8ZdwhHT88LQ@mail.gmail.com
>
> which is annoying, but the line was overlength already. Maybe we could
> drop the Discussion: prefix and just write a URL:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAF4Au4w6rrH_j1bvVhzpOsRiHCog7sGJ3LSX0tY8ZdwhHT88LQ@mail.gmail.com

If we use our existing URL shortener, as I proposed upthread, it's still
overlength but decent enough:

https://postgr.es/m/CAF4Au4w6rrH_j1bvVhzpOsRiHCog7sGJ3LSX0tY8ZdwhHT88LQ@mail.gmail.com

I was pretty sure I had proposed this previously and was surprised that
I couldn't find it in the archives anywhere; and sure enough, what I did
was post the idea to sysadmins(at)postgresql(dot)org (over a year ago) so it
wasn't publicly visible. Anyway, I think the shortener is worth using
(and we can certainly spare the namespace).