Re: /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 should be 5433

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Scott Whitney <scott(at)journyx(dot)com>
Cc: Poul Kristensen <bcc5226(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432 should be 5433
Date: 2016-09-27 14:51:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Whitney wrote:
> 1) You should have a script in /etc/init.d called something like postgresql-VERSION
>

> 2) Rename this to postgresql-SomeIdentifierThatRunsOn5432
>
> 3) Copy it to postgresql-SomeIdentifiedThatRunsOn5433

I think it's better to keep one of these under the original name, and
make the second one a symlink to it. That way, the whole system won't
break when the packages are updated. Other than that little detail,
your suggested procedure seems sound ... in a pre-systemd world. I am
not familiar with systemd enough to know what, if anything, should be
done differently there (I don't know whether RHEL 7.2 is systemd or
not).