Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE regression in 9.5

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus <magnus(at)voicecom(dot)ee>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE regression in 9.5
Date: 2016-09-09 19:38:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus wrote:
> I ran the web application mentioned in Marti's original mail on a patched
> Postgres server. It looks like it is working correctly now, no more test
> failures.

Thanks for the confirmation. I pushed the fix, along with the presented
test case.

I chose to backpatch all the way back to 9.3. While I couldn't find a
way to reproduce the misbehavior in 9.3/9.4, even with my alternative
proposed fix for bug #8470, it seems safer to get the fix everywhere
just in case there is a chance that this can be reproduced with multiple
sessions somehow.