BUG #14299: initdb and man pages are not installed in the alternatives system

From: kop(at)meme(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14299: initdb and man pages are not installed in the alternatives system
Date: 2016-08-27 15:50:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-pkg-debian

Bug reference: 14299
Logged by: Karl Pinc
Email address: kop(at)meme(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.4
Operating system: RHEL 7

Hi,

Just installed PG 9.5 on a RHEL 7 box. While client programs like psql and
db_dump are installed in the alternatives system, initdb, and perhaps other
server side programs, are not. Consequently I must invoke initdb with a
fully qualified path.

I can see man pages for psql (etc.) but not initdb. And I can't see any man
pages for SQL commands like CREATE DATABASE. By this I mean they are not in
my MANPATH. I presume this is because they are not under the control of the
alternatives system.

Note that I'm using a box that managed with a very heavy hand, so it's
possible that this is due to some system configuration of which I'm not
aware. I don't think so though.

I've not tried installing whatever package contains, say, pg_test_timing,
but it would be nice if all the PG upstream RPMs "did the right thing" with
respect to alternatives and "just worked'.

Please let me know if I'm reporting more than one bug here and should file
separate bug reports.

Regards,

Karl