Re: Russian translations

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Ivan E(dot) Panchenko" <i(dot)panchenko(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Russian translations
Date: 2016-08-23 20:09:55
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:53:58AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Presently, we want to restrict the commercial use of the Russian
> translation. It means that the text is not BSD-licensed, and cannot be
> freely included in any commercial products. Magnus, do you consider this
> acceptable in the sense of your comments?
>

> I don't have a problem with such restrictions, but I think it would be good to
> clarify what it exactly means.
>
> For example, can a russian speaker use the documentation if he's giving
> postgresql training? Does it make a difference if he prints the documentation
> and uses it vs uses it online?

Uh, I think we need to step back here. First, anyone can add a more
restrictive copyright to our docs, even in English, as long as they
retain our copyright notice.

Second, the website has been updated as requested.

However, I don't know what a "commercial purposes" restriction means.
It is vague for software use, and even vaguer for documentation.

I understand Postgres Pro had to invest resources to do the translation,
and understand their desire to restrict access. However, I think we
need to be clear on exactly what those restrictions are if we are going
to keep a link from our website.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +