BUG #14285: Chinese locale and windows

From: nicolas(dot)david(at)verosoftware(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14285: Chinese locale and windows
Date: 2016-08-09 14:23:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Bug reference: 14285
Logged by: Nicolas David
Email address: nicolas(dot)david(at)verosoftware(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.2.5
Operating system: Windows 10

Dear All,

we have a chinese customer that have migrated from Win7 to Win10. It seems
that the locale 'Chinese (Simplified)_People’s Republic of China.936' has
been renamed to 'Chinese (Simplified)_China.936'.

For this reason, the postgresql service could not start (invalid value for
parameters lc_monetary / lc_numeric / lc_time in postgresql.conf).

I changed the value in the postgresql.conf file to use the new locale.

After that the service starts but I cannot get connected to my database. I
get an error message that tell me that LC_COLLATE is 'Chinese
(Simplified)_People’s Republic of China.936'. A HINT explains that I should
re-install the database or add the locale.

How can I manage this situation ?

Because if I re-install, the customer data will be lost and I don't know how
to add this locale.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards