BUG #14179: Not enough info in error message

From: dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14179: Not enough info in error message
Date: 2016-06-07 07:50:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 14179
Logged by: Daniel Migowski
Email address: dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.2
Operating system: all

Hello,

I often get some error like: value too long for type character varying(160).
Not it is hard for me to check which column contained the constraint.

I would love to see something like: "value too long for type character
varying(160) in column mytable.mycolumn"

This would have safed me at least 20 hours during the last years!

If you fix this, please backport to 9.5, and I would immediately upgrade all
our servers. Thanks a lot in advance.