Re: PosgreSQL backend process crashed with signal 9

From: David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: Pavel Suderevsky <psuderevsky(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Aleksey Romanov <drednout(dot)by(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PosgreSQL backend process crashed with signal 9
Date: 2016-04-06 20:35:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 21:22:23 +0300
Pavel Suderevsky <psuderevsky(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > [ shrug... ] The OOM killer is widely considered broken. Its heuristics
> > don't interact terribly well with processes using large amounts of shared
> > memory.
>

> Actually the issue is not the OOM killer invokation but in amount of memory
> that postgresql consumes for a not very heavy operation.

I suggest you open a new bug for this. The original report was for a SEGV,
which should never happen. This report is for excessive memory growth leading
to OOM. Both cause a crash, but they are different issues and tying them
together may delay solving either of them.

-dg

--
David Gould 510 282 0869 daveg(at)sonic(dot)net