Re: Proper use of Groups and Users (Roles).

From: Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proper use of Groups and Users (Roles).
Date: 2016-02-16 10:39:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:06:28 -0500
Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I wrote a short article to explain the proper use of Group and Userss in the database.

Hi Melvin,

Thanks for the explanation, it makes things easy to understand.

One question :

> Although GRANT ALL, at first appears to simplify granting permissions, it is actually a very bad practice that is often misused. That is because doing so would also allow groups and ordinary users the following additional privileges: TRUNCATE, REFERENCES & TRIGGER.

If a user has DELETE rights on a table, I don't see how granting him TRUNCATE makes that much of a difference? Same could be said of the other two, it's not like they are going to cause more damage than the previous rights.

--
Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://marica.fr/
Gestion des contentieux, des dossiers de sinistres assurance et des contrats pour le service juridique