BUG #13897: backquotes and inserting files into columns.

From: arthur(dot)lewis(at)hypermediasystems(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #13897: backquotes and inserting files into columns.
Date: 2016-01-28 23:43:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 13897
Logged by: Arthur Lewis
Email address: arthur(dot)lewis(at)hypermediasystems(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.3.10
Operating system: Ubuntu Linux 14 (32 bit)

In the manual (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-psql.html) it
says in order to insert a file into the database all you do is the
following:

testdb=> \set content `cat my_file.txt`
testdb=> INSERT INTO my_table VALUES (:'content');

The manual also says:

Within an argument, text that is enclosed in backquotes (`) is taken as a
command line that is passed to the shell. The output of the command (with
any trailing newline removed) replaces the backquoted text.

I have a file called my_file.txt and it has 53604 bytes. When I do this

testdb=> \set content `cat my_file.txt`
testdb=> select length(:'content');
length
53603

Because of back-quotes I've just lost a byte (a trailing newline) and the
original file has been changed.

If there is a better way than using back-quotes please let me know.