Re: Wiki 2FA

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wiki 2FA
Date: 2016-01-24 15:23:56
Lists: pgsql-www

Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 01/24/2016 01:32 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> >

> >> I dunno. I was astonished that they came back a second time after we'd
> >> once thrown them off and cleaned up the mess; you'd think they'd realize
> >> that that would just happen again. I think it may have been an
> >> intentional attack on the PG project as such, not just drive-by spamming.
> >> (If so, and if the goal was to complicate our lives, they succeeded.)
> >
> > I doubt PG was targeted: MediaWiki was. It's a popular and easy spam vector
> > these days, and reminds me of Windows in the old days: you can setup a
> > brand new wiki and be guaranteed a spammer before you even start advertising
> > your site. And once you are on a list, expect to never be able to fully open
> > your wiki again.
>
> yeah :(

Keep in mind that our own MediaWiki installation has a custom auth
system, using our community auth system. Which means that this wasn't a
simple attack script for generic Mediawiki installations; if it was a
script at all then it must have been tailored for our system somehow.
Maybe part of it is scripted and the auth part requires a human to
oversee.

Either way, I concur that it's pretty scary.