Re: truncate data before importing

From: Hans Ginzel <hans(at)matfyz(dot)cz>
To: Shmagi Kavtaradze <kavtaradze(dot)s(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: truncate data before importing
Date: 2015-11-18 15:36:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 01:49:35PM +0100, Shmagi Kavtaradze wrote:
> I am importing sentences from txt file. They look like:
> "0,170 A recent statistical analysis by David
> Barton graphically illustrates how America has
> plummeted from righteous living , prosperity
> and success in the last quarter century
> .
> Each Sentence starts with coordinates and each word is delimited with tab.
> I want to import data to tables without coordinates, just text and if
> possible to convert tab delimited space with just 'space', not to have
> such a gap between words. Any solutions how to do it? maybe with shell
> script?

You can use the 'PROGRAM' in COPY syntax
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-copy.html

-- DROP TABLE IF EXISTS Sentence;
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS Sentence (s text);
COPY Sentence
FROM PROGRAM 'sed -re ''s/\t/ /g; s/^\S+\s+//'' file.txt'
WITH (FORMAT text, NULL '');

Take care of escape sequences – backslashes in the file.

If the file is on the client side see the \copy command of psql client instaed.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-META-COMMANDS-COPY

https://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html

H.