Re: Delete rule does not prevent truncate

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Delete rule does not prevent truncate
Date: 2015-07-24 10:09:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:24:55AM +0100, Tim Smith wrote:

> If that's how the developers feel about rules, i.e they can't be
> bothered to make any changes to the rules code any more, no matter how
> minor (e.g. this TRUNCATE issue)

Who is this "they"? As I think I suggested in another mail, if you
think this is trivial and easy then I think you should propose the
patch to solve it. I understand what you're saying; I think the
solution is self-evident (add a statement trigger that captures
TRUNCATE and DO INSTEAD NOTHING), so I just wouldn't be bothered to
fix this. But I suspect things are the way they are partly because
nobody proposed or implemented a patch for this behaviour before.

The manual is also quite clear in what statements you can
write rules about; by implication, other statements are not covered,
so I'm not actually sure why you think the manual is misleading.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca