Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information

From: "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tim Clotworthy <tclotworthy(at)bluestonelogic(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL Migration - Need Information
Date: 2015-07-08 18:21:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 12:30:29PM -0400, Tim Clotworthy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a customer that is about to undertake a migration of an Oracle 11g
> database to PostgreSQL 9.x (exact version to be determined). I am talking
> not only of the migration of schemas and data, but also of a substantial
> codebase of Pl/SQL stored procedures, as well as many triggers.
>
> I don't think they know yet what they are up against. Everything I have
> read is that this is a very substantial effort. At this stage, they would
> be particularly interested in realistic and practical information on how to
> estimate the effort required as well as any best-practices or guidance on
> transition strategies.
>
> I have found official documentation on the PostgreSQL site for porting
> Pl/SQL to PL/pgSQL. This is excellent technical documentation. However,
> there success will require that they are well prepared realistically
> understanding the scope of the effor they are asbout to undertake.
>
> Thanks for any response!

Hi Tim,

You might want to give ora2pg a go (http://ora2pg.darold.net)

Features included:

- Export full database schema (tables, views, sequences, indexes), with
unique, primary, foreign key and check constraints.
- Export grants/privileges for users and groups.
- Export range and list partition.
- Export a table selection (by specifying the table names).
- Export Oracle schema to a PostgreSQL 8.4+ schema.
- Export predefined functions, triggers, procedures, packages and
package bodies.
- Export full data or following a WHERE clause.
- Full support of Oracle BLOB object as PG BYTEA.
- Export Oracle views as PG tables.
- Export Oracle user defined types.
- Provide some basic automatic conversion of PLSQL code to PLPGSQL.
- Works on any plateform.
- Export Oracle tables as foreign data wrapper tables.
- Export materialized view.
- Show a detailled report of an Oracle database content.
- Migration cost assessment of an Oracle database.
- Migration cost assessment of PL/SQL code from a file.
- Migration cost assessment of Oracle SQL queries stored in a file.
- Generate XML ktr files to be used with Penthalo Data Integrator (Kettle)
- Export Oracle locator and spatial geometries into PostGis.

Regards,
Ken