Re: 9.5 release notes

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 release notes
Date: 2015-06-19 19:44:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2015-06-11 00:15:21 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have committed the first draft of the 9.5 release notes. You can view
> the output here:

I'm looking through all the commits, checking which I think should
possibly be mentioned additionally:
- 9f03ca91 - Speed up CREATE INDEX by avoiding to copy index tuples
- 9da86753 - Reject duplicate column names in foreign key referenced-columns lists.
behavioural change, should be documented as intentional
- 680513ab - Break out OpenSSL-specific code to separate files.
should perhaps be mentioned in the developer section.
- 0709b7ee7 - Change the spinlock primitives to function as compiler barriers.
Significant behavioural change for developers.
- 94028691 - Advance backend's advertised xmin more aggressively.
Pretty good feature imo.
- 5028f22f6 - Switch to CRC-32C in WAL and other places.
This might have compability impact in some external tools.
- 4f1b890b1 -
Unsure if this should be mentioned, at least it's a fairly
large change.
- 27846f02 - Optimize locking a tuple already locked by another subxact
Several users ran into this slowness, so I think we should mention the
optimization.

Regards,

Andres