Re: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fsync-pgdata-on-recovery tries to write to more files than previously
Date: 2015-05-29 18:59:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Tom Lane 2015-05-29 <13871(dot)1432921756(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> Why can't the user stop it? We won't be bleating about the case of a
> symlink to a non-writable file someplace else, which is the Debian use
> case. I don't see a very good excuse to have a non-writable file right
> in the data directory.

I've repeatedly seen PGDATA or pg_xlog been put directly on a
mountpoint, which means there well be a non-writable lost+found
directory there. (A case with pg_xlog was also reported as a support
case at credativ.) I'm usually advising against using the top level
directory directly, but it's not uncommon to encounter it.

> In any case, if the cost of such a file is one more line of log output
> during a crash restart, most people would have no problem at all in
> ignoring that log output.

Nod.

Christoph
--