Re: raid writethrough mode (WT), ssds and your DB. (was Performances issues with SSD volume ?)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Graeme B(dot) Bell" <grb(at)skogoglandskap(dot)no>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: raid writethrough mode (WT), ssds and your DB. (was Performances issues with SSD volume ?)
Date: 2015-05-28 14:27:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 01:37:48PM +0000, Graeme B. Bell wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
> I'm *extremely* certain of what I say when I say WB+BBU=good and direct WT=bad.

It is my understanding that write-through is always safe as it writes
through to the layer below and waits for acnoledgement. Write-back
doesn't, so when you say:

> WT should be OK with e.g. Intel SSDs.

I assume you mean Write-Back is OK because the drive has a BBU, while
Write-Through is always safe.

You also say:

> >> - WT with most SSDs will likely corrupt your postgres database the
> >> first time you lose power. (on all the drives I've tested)

which contradicts what you said above, and I assume you mean write-back
here.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +