Re: pg_upgrade resets timeline to 1

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Marco Nenciarini <mnencia(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade resets timeline to 1
Date: 2015-05-28 14:20:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 08:47:07AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> We could have pg_upgrade increment the timeline and allow for missing
> history files, but that doesn't fix problems with non-pg_upgrade
> upgrades, which also should never be sharing WAL files from previous
> major versions.
>

> Maybe, but I thought we had a high respect for backwards compatibility and we
> clearly just broke quite a few things that didn't need to be broken.

I can't break something that was never intended to work, and mixing WAL
from previous major versions was never designed to work.

> Hmm, it looks like the change to TimeLine 1 is just a kludge anyway. The rule
> that TimeLine 1 doesn't need a history file is itself a hack.
>
> What we should be saying is that the last timeline doesn't need a history file.
> Then no change is needed here.

Yes, that would make a lot more sense than what we have now, but this
had to be backpatched, so reverting to the 9.3 and earlier behavior
seemed logical.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +