Re: pgsql: Improve speed of make check-world

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Improve speed of make check-world
Date: 2015-05-09 18:02:15
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 03:02:50PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Improve speed of make check-world
> >
> > Before, make check-world would create a new temporary installation for
> > each test suite, which is slow and wasteful. Instead, we now create one
> > test installation that is used by all test suites that are part of a
> > make run.
>
> Maybe I'm confused, but now "make -C doc/src/sgml check" seems to build
> the whole backend; it didn't do so before, and I think that's quite
> pointless. I take it that's unintended? Can we get the old behavior
> back?

Yes, I found this odd too. It is caused by this commit:

commit dcae5faccab64776376d354decda0017c648bb53
Author: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Date: Thu Apr 23 08:59:52 2015 -0400

Improve speed of make check-world

It basically added a'check' target dependency of 'temp-install' to
Makefile.global.in, which added it to every Makefile containing a
'check' target.

While you can't easily add rule action to an existing target, you can
easily add dependencies by just mentioning the target multiple times,
e.g.

check: dep1

check: dep2

dep1:
echo 1

dep2:
echo 2

Running 'make check' will output '1 2'.

Now, of course many check's need temp-install, but the SGML build does
not. The attached diff uses a symbol defined in doc/src/sgml/Makefile
(GENERATED_SGML) to supress the temp-install target rule action.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +

Attachment Content-Type Size
Makefile.diff text/x-diff 697 bytes