Re: Compression of full-page-writes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date: 2015-01-02 17:15:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 06:11:29PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> > My negativity is not that I don't want it, but I want to understand why
> > it isn't better than I remembered. You are basically telling me it was
> > always a marginal win. :-( Boohoo!
>
> No, I didn't. I told you that *IN ONE BENCHMARK* wal writes apparently
> are not the bottleneck.

What I have not seen is any recent benchmarks that show it as a win,
while the original email did, so I was confused. I tried to explain
exactly how I viewed things --- you can not like it, but that is how I
look for upcoming features, and where we should focus our time.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +