Re: Hostnames, IDNs, Punycode and Unicode Case Folding

From: Mike Cardwell <pgsql(at)lists(dot)grepular(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hostnames, IDNs, Punycode and Unicode Case Folding
Date: 2014-12-30 00:53:42
Lists: pgsql-general

* on the Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 07:25:59PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>> This is exactly the same method that we commonly use for performing case
>> insensitive text searches using lower() indexes.
>
> Hmm. How did you get the original, then?

The "original" in my case, is the hostname which the end user supplied.
Essentially, when I display it back to them, I want to make sure it is
displayed the same way that it was when they originally submitted it.

> If you have the original
> Unicode version, why don't you switch to IDNA2008 publication rules,
> which are way more reliable? In that case, you do have a 1:1 lookup
> and you shouldn't have a problem.

I was unaware of the different versions of IDNA. I basically started using
the Perl module IDNA::Punycode in my project and assumed that this was the
only type. Seems like I need to do some more reading.

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key 35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3 B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F