Re: BUG #11477: psql -L no stderr

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: hans(at)matfyz(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #11477: psql -L no stderr
Date: 2014-10-02 22:03:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 02:45:46PM +0000, hans(at)matfyz(dot)cz wrote:

> Bug reference: 11477
> Logged by: Hans Ginzel
> Email address: hans(at)matfyz(dot)cz
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4beta2
> Operating system: Centos 6.5
>
> Hello!
>
> Command
> psql -L logfile
> logs only stdout (formated with stars) but not stderr.
>
> Command
> psql -L logfile 2>logfile
> logs also warnings/errors but does not write them to terminal.
>
> Command
> psql 1>&2 |tee logfile
> writes both to terminal and file but without stars formatting.
>
> I am sorry, but log without errors logging is NOT a log file. I consider not
> logging stderr to logfile when -L is specified as a bug.
>
> Please add coppying also stderr to logfile when -L.

The documentation says:

-L filename
--log-file=filename
Write all query output into file filename, in addition to the normal output destination.

There is no mention of errors being logged here. Logging is more than
logging of errors.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +