Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: pgindent run for 9.4

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: pgindent run for 9.4
Date: 2014-05-06 21:18:08
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 05:05:00PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 03:54:24PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> But having said that, if this didn't work then there's something broken
> >> about the make rules for the ecpg tests. I'm a bit suspicious of commit
> >> 69e9768e7b183d4b276d0e067a5a0000689580eb.
>
> I looked into this, and find that the cause of the problem is that
> pgindent touched src/interfaces/ecpg/include/sqlca.h, which is copied
> verbatim into preprocessed files by the ecpg preprocessor, so the expected
> files had to change in tandem. This amounts to a dependency, but the make
> rules don't know about it. Should they? That particular file changes so
> seldom that it'd hardly be worth worrying about, but I'm not sure which
> other files can get copied similarly.
>
> > What _is_ odd is that I had to change these files after the pgindent run
> > in head, but _not_ in the back branches when I removed the tabs from
> > comments. I assume there is something new in 9.4 about they way they
> > are built.
>
> I'm confused by this statement. Your tab-adjustment commits in the back
> branches also touched both sqlca.h and the ecpg expected files.

They probably did in the back branches as I hit _all_ C files. I wonder
if pgindent somehow skipped some of them.

Ah, found it. There is an excludes pattern file list I had forgotten
about; it has:

/s_lock\.h$
/ecpg/test/expected/
/snowball/libstemmer/
/ecpg/include/(sqlda|sqltypes)\.h$
/ecpg/include/preproc/struct\.h$
/pl/plperl/ppport\.h$

I am thinking I should back out the tab/comment changes in those files
in the back branches, though I would then need to adjust the ecpg
regression tests. In practice, these files are rarely patched, so it
might be fine to just leave them alone.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +