Signaling of waiting for a cleanup lock?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Signaling of waiting for a cleanup lock?
Date: 2014-04-11 14:28:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

VACUUM sometimes waits synchronously for a cleanup lock on a heap
page. Sometimes for a long time. Without reporting it externally.
Rather confusing ;).

Since we only take cleanup locks around vacuum, how about we report at
least in pgstat that we're waiting? At the moment, there's really no way
to know if that's what's happening.

Greetings,

Andres Freund