Re: Hot standby doesn't come up on some situation.

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com
Cc: andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot standby doesn't come up on some situation.
Date: 2014-03-03 03:08:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

> | * as if we had just replayed the record before the REDO location
> | * (or the checkpoint record itself, if it's a shutdown checkpoint).
>
> The test script following raises assertion failure. It's added
> with 'non-shutdown' checkpoint' just before shutting down
> immediately. Starting server aborts with the following message.
>
> | LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
> | TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(((oldestActiveXID) != ((TransactionId) 0)))", File: "xlog.c", Line: 6771)
> | LOG: startup process (PID 28561) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted

This is because the checkpoint was done with 'wal_level =
minimal'. The server restarts correctly by starting the server
with 'wal_level = hot_standby' at first.

It looks a mere mis-op. The log message looks unfriendly but I'm
uncertain of the necessity of changing it.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center