Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL specific datatypes very confusing for beginners who use wrappers around JDBC
Date: 2014-01-28 23:55:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 03:38:49PM -0800, Mike Christensen wrote:
> Oh. The CREATE CAST command. Wow, I was totally unaware of this entire
> feature!

See, this is why Postgres really is better than you ever think. Just
when you're convinced that you have a totally impossible problem, it
turns out that one of the brilliant developers has not only thought of
it, but has fixed it while you weren't looking. In a large-scale
generalized way that doesn't have whirling knives sticking out of it.
(Yes, I have been using some other DBMSes recently, and no, I don't
like it.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca