Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: remove undocumented assign syntax from plpgsql doc
Date: 2014-01-15 15:35:35
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:07:29AM +0100, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I thought you would say that.  :-)  I don't see how this detail makes
> sense in the sections related to the syntax usage, so I looked in the
> section Porting from Oracle PL/SQL, and I don't see how it fits there
> either.
>

> :)
>
> just notice - sorry for my English
>
> ==Assign==
> Using ":=" is preffered as assign statement due conformity with ADA language (a
> plpgsql ancestor).
>

> ==GET DIAGNOSTICS==
>
> Using "=" is highly preferred due conformity with ANSI/SQL

The problem is that these are philosophical issues that are not normally
covered in our docs. What I have done is to add a mention of which
option is compliant to the new text. Patch attached.

Is GET DIAGNOSTICS defined in the standard for SQL/PSM only or for
generic SQL?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +

Attachment Content-Type Size