Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Fixing pg_basebackup with tablespaces found in $PGDATA
Date: 2014-01-10 16:24:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 03:34:04PM +0100, Bernd Helmle wrote:

> --On 1. Januar 2014 23:53:46 +0100 Dimitri Fontaine
> <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >As much as I've seen people frown upon $subject, it still happens in the
> >wild, and Magnus seems to agree that the current failure mode of our
> >pg_basebackup tool when confronted to the situation is a bug.
> >
> >So here's a fix, attached.
>
> I've seen having tablespaces under PGDATA as a policy within several
> data centres in the past. The main reasoning behind this seems that
> they strictly separate platform and database administration and for
> database inventory reasons. They are regularly surprised if you tell
> them to not use tablespaces in such a way, since they absorbed this
> practice over the years from other database systems. So +1 for
> fixing this.

FYI, this setup also causes problems for pg_upgrade. There is a recent
thread about that that I will reply to. The problem is that pre-9.2
servers get a mismatch between the symlink and the pg_tablespace path
when they rename the old cluster.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +