Re: Monitoring number of backends

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: andy <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Monitoring number of backends
Date: 2013-10-22 18:50:23
Lists: pgsql-general

* andy (andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net) wrote:
> If I did plugin pg_bouncer, is it worth switching my php from
> pg_connect to pg_pconnect?

No, let pg_bouncer manage the connection pooling. Having two levels of
pooling isn't a good idea (and pg_bouncer does a *much* better job of it
anyway, imv..).

> I'd bet plugging in pg_bouncer now while I'm not too busy would help
> me grow in the long run, huh? I like the sound of that. Thanks!

Yes. Note that, as you scale, you can actually connect pg_bouncers to
other pg_bouncers and play other fun games like having pg_bouncer switch
which servers it's connecting to transparently to the app..

Thanks,

Stephen