Re: createdb -- alternate locations

From: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Charles Tassell <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>, "J(dot)R(dot)" <jrbelding(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: createdb -- alternate locations
Date: 2000-05-26 09:48:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 25 May 2000 23:10:49 -0400 (EDT) Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Does everyone have printenv? I sure hope so.

Possibly not, since it's not part of UNIX98 (the "Single Unix
Specification, version 2"). I don't have a POSIX standard handy right
now but I don't think it is specified there either.

On the other hand, my NetBSD manual page says printenv was introduced
in BSD 3.0, so perhaps it's everywhere even if non-standard, which
would be typically Unix!

If someone does find a platform that is missing printenv it's easy
enough to change that code to use env and grep instead.

Regards,

Giles