Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date: 2013-08-05 20:01:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 06:44:41PM +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> > 2. Add a pg_basebackup option like "--destdir" or "--sysroot", meaningful only
> > with -Fp; tablespace backups will be stored relative to it. So if the actual
> > tablespace path is c:/foo, --destdir=c:/backups/today would backup that
> > tablespace to c:/backups/today/c/foo. This facilitates same-server use of -Fp
> > on all platforms.
>
> My understanding is that the second option here would be useful also
> when you want to create a standby with a different file layout than the
> master, which in some cases is what you want to do (not HA strictly).

The way I was envisioning it, you would still need to place the tablespace
directories in their ordinary locations before recovering the base backup.
This was just a way to relocate the backup itself. I can see value in both
capabilities, though.

> Another defect of pg_basebackup is its lack of shandling of tablespaces
> mounted within $PGDATA, which happens often enough at customers sites,
> whatever we think about that option. Would your work be extended to
> cover that too?

Not that I had in mind. My latest thinking on that topic is along the lines
of helping folks stop doing it, not making it work better:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20121205010442(dot)GA16472(at)tornado(dot)leadboat(dot)com

Thanks,
nm

--