Re: postgresql-server 9.3

From: Martin Pitt <mpitt(at)debian(dot)org>
To: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql-server 9.3
Date: 2013-06-14 04:19:46
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Martin Pitt [2013-06-14 6:14 +0200]:
> They are in Debian experimental only, which by definition is "software
> which isn't of release quality yet", and their version number has beta
> in it. It would be rather inconvenient to have to rename all the
> packages once it becomes stable, as we'd have to carry a whole lot of
> Conflicts:/Replaces: etc. around for a long while.

Oh, and more importantly, we wouldn't get rid of a postgresql-9.3-beta
package name anytime soon, as we would need it as a transitional
package for people who did install the beta. That would look even
stranger, and this generally isn't being done in Debian package names.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de