Re: pg_upgrade

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Ian Harding <harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2013-02-16 01:54:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:36:25AM -0800, Ian Harding wrote:
> Maybe this is it.  8.4 pg_ctl docs say it uses "psql -l" to see if it's
> finished when you use -w.  It also says
>
> PGPORT
>
> Default port for psql (used by the -w option).
>
> And since pg_upgrade uses a funky port, it might miss unless the PGPORT
> environment variable is set to match.
>
> I'll try that tonight.

Yes, you are getting close to the answer. ;-) The problem is that
Postgres doesn'isn't checking the right port number or socket location
or something else. This was all improved in Postgres 9.1:

The wait mode is now significantly more robust. It will not get
confused by non-default postmaster port numbers, non-default
Unix-domain socket locations, permission problems, or stale
postmaster lock files.

I am guessing there is something non-standard about your old cluster,
and 8.4's pg_ctl -w can't handle it. Tell me what is non-standard and I
can help further. Another idea is to make the old cluster use defaults
for everything and do the upgrade.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com