Re: When to run Vacuum in postgres 9.0.4

From: "Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
To: "Anjali Arora" <anjali_524(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: When to run Vacuum in postgres 9.0.4
Date: 2013-01-10 17:08:39
Lists: pgsql-general

[resending after completion -- the prior send was accidental]

Anjali Arora wrote:

> I have a large dataset and I have crawled it two and three times;
> hence reltuples has increased. So I need some way to find out
> vacuum is needed on the system.
>
> Please help me in finding out some parameter or statistics which
> will tell me vacuum is required on the database.

You might want to read through this page carefully, especially the
section on autovacuum:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/routine-vacuuming.html

If this doesn't answer your questions, please review this page and
post again:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

-Kevin