Re: Unable to get acceptable performance from EXCEPT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to get acceptable performance from EXCEPT
Date: 2000-05-10 22:38:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net> writes:
> =# select ref_id from ref_old except select ref_id from ref_new;
> Takes over 10 minutes, probably closer to half an hour.
> I've also tried using 'NOT IN ( select ref_id from ref_new )'

Yup. EXCEPT is effectively translated to a NOT IN, if I recall
correctly, and neither IN ( sub-select ) nor NOT IN ( sub-select )
are implemented very efficiently. Basically you get O(N^2) behavior
because the inner select is rescanned for each outer tuple.

We have a TODO list item to try to be smarter about this...

> Is there a way to formulate my SQL to get Postgresql to follow
> this algorithm [ kind of like a mergejoin ]

No, but you could try

select ref_id from ref_old where not exists
(select ref_id from ref_new where ref_id = ref_old.ref_id);

which would at least be smart enough to consider using an index
on ref_new(ref_id) instead of a sequential scan.