Re: Coalesce bug ?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
To: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>,"Adrian Klaver" <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>,"jg" <jg(at)rilk(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Coalesce bug ?
Date: 2012-12-21 16:24:08
Lists: pgsql-general

David Johnston wrote:

> I thought that in order to call the Coalesce function the system
> would have to know the value of all parameters. There is no lazy
> instantiation in SQL.

Tom already addressed the main question, but I want to clarify this
point. COALESCE is not a function; it is defined by the standard as
a short form of a CASE statement. The syntax just makes it look
similar to a function. As a CASE statement, it stops when it finds
the right (non-NULL) case.

-Kevin