Re: create role?

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Ray Stell <stellr(at)vt(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: create role?
Date: 2012-12-21 10:12:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thursday 20 December 2012 18:30:24 Ray Stell wrote:
> I'm not really that lazy, I was just stuck in the oracle world view (grant
> priv to user). Your search strings don't fit in that logic. It looks
> like sys privs are never provided by grant, rather create or alter. Hmm,
> sans CONNECT, which seems rather system priv to me. MIght make for a handy
> additional comment to
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-grant.html 'For system
> privileges see "ALTER ROLE."'

Think of a role as permissions to do tasks whereas grant gives you access to
objects.

You are granted permission to a table/view etc.
Your role is to create other users, or create databases

I don't know any database system other than Postgresql so I don't know how it
compares to Oracle

--
Gary Stainburn
Group I.T. Manager