Re: BUG #7657: Create Table doesn't create columns

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
To: Matthew Kuss <matt(at)rigminder(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #7657: Create Table doesn't create columns
Date: 2012-11-14 16:07:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:00:08AM -0600, Matthew Kuss wrote:
> Depesz -
>
> I'm fairly sure it's not a problem with something I'm doing wrong
> because I've used the same code before. It has to be something wrong
> on the DB side. But just to entertain you I did as you requested:
>
> RigMinder_NewDBTest02=# \d test
> Table "public.test"
> Column | Type | Modifiers
> --------+------+-----------
>

> RigMinder_NewDBTest02=#
>
> Before I ran this I created a table using the following:
>
> create table "test" ("column1" text, "column2" float);
>
> It ran without any errors. Yesterday after I sent out the help request
> I uninstalled postgresql and installed version 9.0.10 and I'm having
> the same problem. It does look like it only occurs when my logging
> package is running. Ie if I shut it down, I can create tables in
> pgAdmin, but as soon as my program is running, I get the errors
> described above. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

What "logging package"?
>From what you describe, it looks that it interferes, which would clearly
suggest that it's the guilty part.

I did create the table you said, and it works without any problems:

(depesz(at)[local]:5920) 17:05:00 [depesz]
$ create table "test" ("column1" text, "column2" float);
CREATE TABLE
(depesz(at)[local]:5920) 17:05:05 [depesz]
$ \d test
Table "public.test"
Column | Type | Modifiers
---------+------------------+-----------
column1 | text |
column2 | double precision |

I know that this is not helpful, but as you said - when you remove your
program from the situation, everything works ok. check then what the
program does.

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
http://depesz.com/