Re: How to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 with replication?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>, delongboy <sdelong(at)saucontech(dot)com>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 with replication?
Date: 2012-11-07 20:59:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 03:44:13PM -0300, Claudio Freire wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Bring both down.
> >> pg_upgrade master
> >> Bring master up
> >> pg_upgrade slave
> >
> > Is there any reason to upgrade the slave when you are going to do rsync
> > anyway? Of course you need to install the new binaries and libs, but it
> > seems running pg_upgrade on the standby is unnecessary.
>
> Just to speed up the rsync

pg_upgrade is mostly modifying the system tables --- not sure if that is
faster than just having rsync copy those. The file modification times
would be different after pg_upgrade, so rsync might copy the file anyway
when you run pg_upgrade. It would be good for you to test if it really
is a win --- I would be surprised if pg_upgrade was in this case on the
standby.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com