Re: Using psql -f to load a UTF8 file

From: Leif Biberg Kristensen <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
Cc: Alan Millington <admillington(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Using psql -f to load a UTF8 file
Date: 2012-09-20 15:44:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Torsdag 20. september 2012 16.56.16 skrev Alan Millington :
> psql". But how am I supposed to remove the byte order mark from a UTF8
> file? I thought that the whole point of the byte order mark was to tell
> programs what the file encoding is. Other programs, such as Python, rely
> on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark

While the Byte Order Mark is important for UTF-16, it's totally irrelevant to
the UTF-8 encoding. Still you'll find several editors that automatically input
BOMs in every text file. There is usually a setting "Insert Byte Order Mark"
somewhere in the configuration, and it may be on by default.

regards, Leif