Re: last entry per person

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: last entry per person
Date: 2012-02-03 08:40:03
Lists: pgsql-general

garry <garry(at)scholarpack(dot)com> wrote:

> I have a table which holds a user name and their results in exams. There
> can be multiple entries per user. I am trying to return the last entry
> for each user. I can get the last entry in the table using the order
> by/limit method but how would this be applied per user. My table
> definition is like the following:
>
>> gradeid serial primary key,
>> user text,
>> grade char(1),
>> entered timestamp,
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Regards
> Garry

What about "select user, max(entered) from table group by user" ?

Btw.: user is a reserved word, don't use it as column-name.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°