Re: createuser/dropuser username

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Grzegorz Szpetkowski <gszpetkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: createuser/dropuser username
Date: 2011-09-13 02:53:15
Lists: pgsql-docs

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On fre, 2011-09-09 at 19:48 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > ! Specifies the default tablespace for the database. (This name
> > ! is processed as a double-quoted identifier.)
>
> I don't find this wording particularly useful. What does it mean? The
> imaginary double quotes are stripped off?

My original wording said that the identifier is processed with
double-quotes internally. Is that better?

> The advantage of using the shell tools is that you are not affected by
> the oddities of SQL syntax, so don't introduce references to SQL syntax
> where it doesn't need to be. Just say, the names are used as is. Or
> just say nothing, because nothing happens.

We have to say something because the section description says only
user/db names are double-quoted, execept where documented.

> > ! Specifies the name of the procedural language to be
> > ! installed. (This name is lower-cased.)
>
> Maybe an explanation why would be in order here.

I frankly have no idea why.

> > + <para>
> > + When specified on the command line, user and databases names have
> > + their case preserved &mdash; the presence of spaces or special
> > + characters might require quoting. Table names and other identifiers
> > + do not have their case preserved, except where documented, and
> > + might require quoting.
> > + </para>
>
> What kind of quoting might be required?

Double or single-quoting, and I don't know about Windows, except I know
is supports double-quoting. Do we really want to get into that?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com