Re: Adding Foreign Key Constraint To Existing Table

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Adding Foreign Key Constraint To Existing Table
Date: 2011-07-01 21:10:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday, July 01, 2011 2:00:38 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> I've examined the 9.0 manual page on alter table without seeing how to
> add a foreign key constraint to a column.
>
> I needed to make changes on a couple of existing tables which could be
> accomplished only by dropping the foreign key constraint. That, and
> changing the table structure, column names, and column types were
> successful. But, I am not seeing the proper syntax to add a foreign key
> constraint back to the two affected tables.
>
> Pointer please.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/sql-altertable.html

Examples at bottom of page:

"To add a foreign key constraint to a table:
ALTER TABLE distributors ADD CONSTRAINT distfk FOREIGN KEY (address) REFERENCES addresses (address) MATCH FULL;
"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com