Re: Subselects not allowed?

From: Leif Biberg Kristensen <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Subselects not allowed?
Date: 2011-06-12 08:22:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Saturday 11. June 2011 22.09.09 Leif Biberg Kristensen wrote:
> I've written a blog post which I hope may be helpful to others in a similar
> situation:
>
> <http://solumslekt.org/blog/?p=321>
>
> Thanks to Guillaume Lelarge, Tom Lane, and Andreas Kretschmer. You guys are
> great.

And even better, in the first comment to the blog post, I was advised about the
SETVAL() function which does exactly what I wanted in the first place.

CREATE SEQUENCE persons_person_id_seq;
SELECT SETVAL('persons_person_id_seq', MAX(person_id)) FROM persons;
ALTER TABLE persons ALTER COLUMN person_id SET DEFAULT
NEXTVAL('persons_person_id_seq');
ALTER SEQUENCE persons_person_id_seq OWNED BY persons.person_id;

regards, Leif
http://code.google.com/p/yggdrasil-genealogy/