Re: Getting FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command

From: Peter Hopfgartner <peter(dot)hopfgartner(at)r3-gis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
Date: 2010-09-21 18:31:45
Lists: pgsql-general

--------"Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche(at)redhat(dot)com> wrote--------
Date: 16.09.2010 22:59

>Peter Hopfgartner <peter(dot)hopfgartner(at)r3-gis(dot)com> writes:
>
>> [...]
>
>> Now we had the error, but systemtap did not report any SIGTERM. Is
>> it possible to have this error without a SIGTERM being involved? As
>> mentioned in a previous mail, I've modified the script to report
>> SIGTERM sent to any process.
>
>There are some other possibilities. It's possible that the version of
>stap you're using is not expanding signal.send to all possible paths
>of the kernel dispatching signals to your process.
>
>So one might try a few different things:

(...)

># check for another process sending SIGTERM
>probe syscall.kill {
> if (sig == 15) {
> printf("%s[%d] sending %s\n", execname(), pid(), argstr)
> print_ubacktrace()
> }
>}

I'm trying this one, currently.

(...)

The sad thing, at the moment, is, that the problem has not been occuring since days, now. I did not change anything in the setup of the server, only that the system might be used slightly less, then when it occured, so it is statistically less likely that it occurs.

>(A more modern system compiler & systemtap would give you much better
>variable-value dumping options.)

Is there an easy way to install those on a 5.5 system?

>- FChE

Regards,
Peter