Re: A thought about other open source projects

From: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A thought about other open source projects
Date: 2010-06-20 18:18:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sunday 20 June 2010 12.52:22 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> I don't believe in "database agnostic code".

Using a db abstraction may be the right way to write "database agnostic
code".

I have quite a good impression of SQLAlchemy, for example: it is quite
generic, and it is still possible to write direct SQL for those few queries
where I know that I can create better queries than SQLAlchemy would.

YMMV, of course. When performance is an issue, optimized code for a certain
DB backend will probably beat abstractions like this every time. But if
you're just writing a small-ish application, the option to support other db
with minimal effort is quite nice.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 25th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3176